Friday, January 21, 2011

More Wildflowers (or a way to bring on more spring fever!!)

Yesterday I had such fun pulling out and organizing some of my wildflower pictures, I thought I would share more today.
 Cushion Phlox (Phlox pulvinata) Blooms from April-July
Phlox is one of my favorite flowers. My mother used to have purple phlox in our yard.
 Hookers Onion (Allium acuminatum) blooms May-July
Did you know that there is actually an onion bulb on this. I remember being out in the hills with my dad when I was little and we would eat these. Now it sounds awful.
 Sego Lily (Calochortus nuttallii) Blooms June-August
This is the state flower of Utah. The pioneers ate many sego lily roots when they arrived in the Salt Lake Valley. It helped them survive.
 Wild Rose (Rosa blanda) late May-July
 Lupine (Lupinus argenteus) Blooms June-July
Up on the Big Horns in June you can see entire meadows just covered with lupine. It is just a purple carpet.

Yellow Stonecrop (Sedum stenopetalum) blooms July-August
Just like any sedum this stonecrop loves dry arid areas with poor soil.
Maybe there is a lesson there for me...
Bloom where I'm planted
Guess I'm not the only one loving mountain meadows!!

3 comments:

  1. Just lovely! ;) And, that moose could be a small picture in your book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, Sidney. These are really beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidney, thank you for posting more of your beautiful photos. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!! They make me smile! Thanks!!