Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Hard (but cheap) Way to Border a Flowerbed!

A few years ago we had the opportunity to go out to an old homestead and take out some of the wood from the home, some of the plant materials from the yard and some of the rocks. Gorgeous flagstones!! We were able to do this because they were going to be mining on the property although not the house and yard. After that the entire acreage was closed off. The mining was completed a year or two ago. Laurence got permission this last week to go back in and get some more rocks, but this time we were after the rocks that the people had brought in to use for retaining walls etc. I was so glad we'd been there before, otherwise we'd never have realized the potential under all the weeds! Laurence had to clear away the limbs etc. so we could get in. (I was really busy taking pictures:).
It's hard to believe that there is an entire retaining wall under all those bushes and grass!!

Part of the wall was cemented together. It's hard to believe all the hard work they did 100 years ago! (I think the mom must have been a strong, determined woman!)
You can see the dragline in the background.
This was when we were about half done. By the time we left the pickup was riding pretty low. These will make a great border around our enlarged flower bed. More on that in a later post..... The homestead is about 1 1/2 miles off the county road, but boy is it a treacherous one now. But the scenery is incredible!

5 comments:

  1. wow! looks like you guys put a lot of work into getting rocks. i'm sure they will look great in your yard! can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rocks look cool, I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks like a lot of hard work, but it'll look great in your yard. Love your pictures of the old homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free is good! The work will definitely be worth it! I wish I could have been there to help! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rocks!!! They are beautiful! I want to see pictures of the finished work of a determined woman in this century! I don't know how you talked your husband into this but I'll bet he had to "think" it was his idea!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!! They make me smile! Thanks!!