Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dutch Oven Fun!

Last night I got to take another Dutch Oven cooking class. What fun! This one was a breakfast class. Laurence was signed up to go with me, but he is swamped at work with conversion of the Rosebud Mine. So, my good friend Kit generously took her time and went with me. Our teacher had 4 different recipes for us to make, Kit and I teamed up to make Dutch Oven Scrappel.Here she is adding the cornbread topping to the scrappel. (That's Bishop Swanson holding up the lid for her).
Our scrappel is done and looks pretty good.
The Bishop and Andrew made Sausage Balls.
The other team made Breakfast Pizza and the Mountain Man Breakfast below.
We had some really good breakfasts!!
Dutch Oven Scrappel
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. "Little Smokies"
  • 3 large apples (we used red delicious, but I would use a baking apple)
  • 1 package Marie Callendars Corn Bread Mix
  • Water for Corn Bread Mix
  • 1/2 C. brown sugar
  • Butter
  • Syrup

Preparation:

  • Heat Dutch Oven
  • Put Little Smokies in the bottom of the Dutch Oven.
  • Core and slice the apples into 3/8-1/2" slices and layer them on top of the Little Smokies.
  • Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the apples.
  • Mix the cornbread mix per instructions. Pour on top of the apples.

Cooking:

  • Cooks in about 45-55 minutes. Check with a toothpick. (Ours was done in 45 minutes.)

Serving:

  • Spoon on plate topped with butter and syrup.

2 comments:

I LOVE comments!! They make me smile! Thanks!!