Monday, September 7, 2009

Grandma Baird's Pickled Beets

Grandpa and Grandma; Everett & Marie Baird When we planted beets this year, I made sure I didn't plant too many. I REALLY didn't want to HAVE to can them. So here I am, it's September and I'm pickling beets and wishing I had more beets to pickle. I LOVE pickled beets. Talk about reaping what you sow!! This recipe is a recipe I got fom my mom, who got it from her mom, Grandma Baird.

PICKLED BEETS

Wash and cook beets until done.
Peel and slice 1/2 inch thick (I prefer to leave them whole if they're small enough)
Place in jars.
Set aside.

Boil:
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C. water
2 T. caraway seeds
6 C. vinegar
3 C. white sugar
1 T. mixed pickling spice in a bag (I also put the caraway seeds in the bag as I don't care for them in the beets)

Pour boiling mixture over beets.
Seal jars
Hot water bath 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!! They make me smile! Thanks!!